A Guy’s Perspective on Supporting Your Partner
Your life will never be the same again; you are a father. Get ready for the most challenging, rewarding days of your life. Call the Helpline toll-free at 1-866-942-6466 to get answers to your questions. The following points will help you get started.
- Just LISTEN, she needs to talk.
- Be patient – she’s uncomfortable, and tired.
- Be understanding, this is just as new to her as it is to you.
- Make sure she gets what she needs–sleep, good food, foot rubs, back massages.
- Take on additional responsibilities.
- Take an active role.
- Let her know your thoughts, ideas, & opinions.
- Let her know you are there for her and you are just as much apart of this pregnancy as she is, even though she is carrying the pregnancy.
- Make it clear that you are in this together.
- Go with her to talk to her parents.
- Drive her to appointments, sonograms, pregnancy centers and prenatal care.
- Protect her.
- Communication, Communication, Communication.
- Affirm her for her courage.
- Acknowledge her feelings and fears.
- Empathize–try to understand her feelings.
- Be sensitive to her physical/emotional condition.
- Be a gentlemen, if you don’t know how, read a book, or ask a man who has been married a long time.
- Read pregnancy books along with your partner to learn and prepare as much as you can for the months and years ahead.
- Plan Ahead: Start preparing for financial needs.
Last updated: 02/2008